VIDEO: Family of Cory Protos speak after sentencing of Zariah Samson

 

The family of Cory Protos are refusing to accept the manslaughter conviction handed down to their son’s killer.

They speak outside the Christchurch High Court on Friday, after the sentencing of Zariah Samson.

Samson was sentenced six years and three months with a minimum non-parole period three years and three months.

The case:

Samson pleaded guilty to the manslaughter of her boyfriend Protos, after accusing him of spreading rumours about her.

Cory Protos

The charge against Zariah Samson, aged 22 at the time of the crime, was amended from the original charge of murder in the High Court in Christchurch earlier in the week.

Samson is remanded in custody for her sentencing on Friday.

On April 26, 2014, at an address in Conference St, central Christchurch, Samson accused 30-year-old Cory James Protos of spreading rumours about her, the court heard.

Samson began to assault him, removed his bloodied clothing and bound his hands behind his back.

He was covered by a blanket, punched and kicked sporadically over the next four hours.

Protos was then dressed. Samson guided him into a car and drove him to her address in Bryndwr.

After showering, Protos met Samson in the bedroom where further arguing ensued.

Samson gave Protos a superficial cut to the neck, and then proceeded to strangle him with a computer cord, wrapped around his neck three times.

Just before 9pm, she texted an associate saying she was “cleaning up my mess”.

She also requested cleaning products and petrol.

Samson went to a relative’s house and told them what had happened.

The next day, the relative contacted police.

Samson told police she and Protos were arguing about trust issues – an argument which led to a gun being held to her head.

-NZ Herald

Comment